Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

My Stolen Moments

I recently read this story about a father who woke up to find his 2 1/2 year old daughter had passed away in her sleep. He mentions the "stolen moments" that he shared with his sweet Savannah while she was on this earth. Not going to lie, I was really teary-eyed and emotional when I read about this father's story.  And now that I am a mother, I take his story and stolen moments with his daughter even more to heart.

I am currently sitting on my couch with Zoey curled up into my left arm sleeping while my right hand types out each letter one at a time like a 5-year-old.  I would have preferred to set Zoey in her bassinet or swing so I could finish my final paper with two hands to type, but every time I tried to set Zoey down she would wake up and start crying.  I have to admit that I was a little frustrated that she wouldn't just stay asleep in her bassinet.  She is sleeping anyway.  What would be any different?  But then the words stolen moments popped into my head as I cradled her in my arms again and I felt so grateful that I had the opportunity to hold her in my arms.

How blessed am I to be with this baby another day.  I realized that one of my stolen moments I have with her is the opportunity to show her all of the good in the world.

Last October Judd and I went to Disneyland.  It was Judd's first time ever going to the Happiest Place on Earth.  I was beyond ecstatic that I got to be there with him while he experienced all of his Disney firsts: Indiana Jones, the Aladdin musical, Haunted Mansion, and everything else!

I still get happy when I think about how fun it was to be with him at the time.  But the best part about being Zoey's mom is that I get to experience those same feelings everyday with her.

Everyday her eyes stay open a little bit longer before she falls asleep.  And everyday I get to see her become more aware of her surroundings.  I get to witness her stare intently at something, trying to figure it out as I try to figure out what she is looking at.

I get to be with her when she experiences her first time at the beach, her first ice cream cone, her first Christmas, and her first bike ride.  I get to be there next to her the whole time as she learns and grows and figures out who she is.  I have never been more excited for my future and hers.  When I think about all of the things that are ahead for her, I can't help but feel so blessed that I get to be by her side throughout it all.

Those are my stolen moments with Zoey.  I love that I have already been able to have some of those moments with her and that there are endless ones ahead of us.  I have made a promise to myself to cherish every moment that I have with Zoey and to always remember to be grateful.

Here is a video of my sweet little soccer player kicking away!


No comments:

Post a Comment