Pages

Monday, January 9, 2017

50 Books in 52 Weeks

I know that this might be incredibly shameful to admit, but I have never once completed a New Year's Resolution until 2016. I always seem to either forget about them or just get to lazy/unmotivated to complete them. But last year was different. Mind you, the NYR that I completed was really fun to do, but it was also a lot harder than I thought. I read 50 books in the year 2016, averaging about one book a week.

I definitely was drawn to fantasy and teen fiction (as you will see by my list), but I did sneak a couple of other genres in there as well. It is hard to pick a favorite book or series I read, but the ones that stuck out (other than my favorite HP series) were Cinder, Red Queen, Throne of Glass, and Elantris. 

I love Brandon Sanderson and I finished up his Mistborn series in 2016, but the last two books I didn't care for as much as the first book in the series which I read in 2015 and LOVED (Kelsier is one of my all time favorite characters).

One of my most interesting books I read was Girls Like Us. It is a nonfiction written about the sex slave trade. The author is a woman who was part of the slave trade before she got out and created GEMS, a nonprofit that helps girls get out and recover so they do not return to the life. It gave me some great perspective on how big of an epidemic this problem is and how slavery still exists in our own country today. 

It has been fun reviewing my list and remembering the different books. Some of these books seemed like I read them forever ago! And to make it even weirder to think about, some of these books I read before I even got pregnant with Isla and now not only is she here, but she is turning two months old this week! Each book is associated with a specific memory. Some I remember reading in my bed at our house before Florida. Some I remember reading in my apartment in Florida. Some were read on the beach. And some were hurriedly read back here in Utah before the end of the year!

Here is the list. If you are interested in a fun but challenging NYR to do for 2017 then I would highly recommend this challenge.

1. Demon King
2. Exiled Queen
3. Outliers
4. Crimson Crown
5. The Gray Wolf Throne
6. Me Before You
7. Girls Like Us
8. Of Poseidon
9. Of Triton
10. Of Neptune
11. Rebel Queen
12. Nefertiti
13. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
14. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
15. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
16. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
17. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
18. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
19. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
20. Cinder
21. Scarlet
22. Crescent 
23. Winter
24. Hero of Ages
25. Well of Ascension
26. Cleopatra's Daughter
27. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
28. Chateau of Echoes
29. A Dance through Time
30. The Official Lamaze Guidebook
31. Elantris
32. A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
33. A Wrinkle in Time
34. Red Queen
35. Glass Sword
36. Thrown of Glass
37. Crown of Midnight
38. Heir of Fire
39. Queen of Shadows
40. Empire of Storms
41. The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
42. The Assassin and the Healer
43. The Assassin and the Desert
44. The Assassin and the Underworld
45. The Assassin and the Empire
46. The Keeper
47. Glitches
48. The Queens Army
49. After Sunshine Passes By
50. The Book of Mormon

I would like to do this challenge again for 2017, but I think I want to find a different way of keeping track. There were a few times where I found that I didn't pick up a specific book because it was too many pages (looking at your Brandon Sanderson and The Way of Kings). I am thinking about tracking it either page numbers or number of hours read. Does anyone have any other suggestions? And as always, I am always interested in hearing new book recommendations so if you have any please pass them along!  


Also this photo has nothing to do with reading, but Zoey took it while I was writing this post and got so excited that she actually took a picture instead of just looking through the camera that I had to post it because it literally made me LOL #runonsentence


No comments:

Post a Comment